Christopher Hikaru Nakamura was born December 9, 1987 in Hirakata in Osaka, Japan, to a Japanese father and an American mother. When he was two years old, he and his mother and brother moved to the United States. He started playing chess when he was seven, coached by his stepfather. Awarded the title of IM in 2001 and that of GM in 2003, Nakamura won the US Championship in 2004, 2009, 2012, 2015 and 2019
Diagram - played at the Marshall Chess Club, New York, when he was 11, Nakamura (Black) wins in 3 more moves
🙂 Video - 8 yr old girl's hustle v Nakamura (NY, 2021)
GM Sam Shankland won the third edition of the Prague Masters. Playing his first over-the-board tournament in 16 months, the California-based grandmaster finished on 5.5/7, half a point more than Polish GM Jan-Krzysztof Duda.
"For the last 15 months, I've just been happy to be safe, healthy, and financially stable in an era where millions have fallen ill, died, lost loved ones, and had the foundation of their lives uprooted. But at the end of the day, my heart beats for the thrill of competition, and I'm so happy to finally have this part of my life back after over a year of all tournaments canceled."
👍 Chess.com - Prague Masters 2021 with games featured
😎 Video - Prague International Chess Festival 2021 (2:59)
Chess in Budapest, Hungary is a serious recreation ! One of my current opponents, Hacko_11 (rating 2119) lives and works in Budapest. He didn't provide background information about himself on ChessWorld so I did a bit of probing (read chat from bottom up in order of our moves):
4. Thylacine3: Yes I read that red wine was the flavour 😊
3. Hacko_11: Yes, mostly red wines. There is a saying - in our Bulgarian traditional folk music there are dozens of songs about wine but all of them are about red wine. There is only one song about white wine and it goes “oh white wine, why are you not red” 😊))
3. Thylacine3: Plovdiv also famous for its wines esp red wines (?) Certainly a fascinating history. Hobart is the capital and becoming more popular for people to travel to. Van Diemens Land was the state's original name which was renamed in 1856.
2. Hacko_11: I am originally Bulgarian - from Plovdiv , the second biggest and one of the oldest cities in Europe - but I live and work in Budapest, Hungary.
2. Hacko_11: Tasmania ? Wow … is Hobart the capital? I remember this great U2 song “Van Diemen’s Land”
2. Thylacine3: Where in Bulgaria do you live ?
1. Thylacine3: Hi from Hobart Tasmania. All the best for the games 😊
Welcome: Australia v Bulgaria
😎 Video - Budapest - the Taste of Europe (3:31)
👍 A recent game he played (note his knight exchange to eliminate Black's queenside pawns 24 Nxb5)
The most powerful chess engines of all time are all well-known to most chess players. If you are wondering which available engine is the strongest, then look no further—Stockfish is the king of chess engines ... read more
😎 Video - Stockfish 13 v Stockfish 8 (4:25)